Accepting BitCoin Payments For Programming Work

I am fascinated by the new electronic currency BitCoin, so I have decided to accept BitCoin in exchange for freelance coding work.

Obviously I can not bet my whole livelihood on it, so for the time being I would be interested in doing short time tasks or projects in exchange for BitCoin. For example I recently did some web site scraping jobs which took between a couple of hours and a day to put together. Something like that might work well.

In general I specialize in Ruby on Rails, JavaScript (including Node.js) and Android (Java) programming. Obviously some more exotic stuff would be OK, too (examples: Clojure, Scheme, Erlang, Linden Scripting Language). It is always great to get paid to experiment…

Also, I am asking for market rates (their equivalent in BitCoin, that is).

Incidentally, if you just want to donate some BitCoins to this blog out of the goodness of your heart, you could send them to my BitCoin address 1HtiNZTMuCy47Hwj9d2Kvd5BYSRPxqMZuF

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Accepting BitCoin Payments For Programming Work

1. I think I don’t completely get what BitCoin is (after reading their homepage, that is). Did I understand correctly that it is a completely different currency to be used online? Like, I pay you 50BC to write some html and you pay 25 to someone else to make some CSS. Is this it? If it is, I find it between intriguing and amusing. At first read in your blog I thought it was some flattr derivative, but this looks far more interesting.

Cheers,

Ruben

2. Björn says:

My knowledge about the details of how BitCoins work is fuzzy so far, but it definitely is very interesting. It is more than just another online currency. What is special about it is that it works without a central server or “control unit”, and it allows for anonymous transactions. You could describe it as electronic cash – something I was half convinced was impossible, because everything digital can just be copied.

I suspect it works with public key cryptography: my money is encrypted with my private key, but the network has verified that is mine via the public key. Instead of a centrally controlled “server” there is just a P2P network of clients, who have to agree by some rules that a transaction has taken place (ie if I sent some coins from my wallet, they are signed with my public key and the network knows that I acquired the coins previously).

Anonymous it can be because you can generate new keys for every transaction.

Also obviously there has to something that is transferred, which is independent of my public key. I think a BitCoin is probably something like a prime number – some number with certain mathematical properties. If you find one (by mining or by a transaction) it is easy to verify that it is a valid BitCoin, but you can not just generate new BitCoins because just as large prime numbers, they are difficult to find.

If you “mine” a BitCoin, you have to tell the network about it and it verifies that it belongs to you. Otherwise somebody could find the same BitCoin and claim it before you claim it.

It can be used for trading, but it is just a computational mechanism in the end. There are already markets where you can exchange BitCoins and Dollars. Apparently the exchange rate rocketed from 0.03 BTC/$ to 0.40 BTC/$ in just a couple of months.

What is fascinating for example is that my BitCoins really only sit in the wallet file on my computer. There is no server anywhere that says “Björn owns 3 BitCoins”. If I lose that file, I also lose the BitCoins.

Anyway, just for fun I will send 0.20 BTC to the first 5 commenters who leave me a BitCoin address in the comments here.

3. Kiba says:

I did some work in freelancing for bitcoin, but it is hard to find jobs. I have to un-specialize in order to find work. That mean accepting artistic work and writing in addition to programming.

The bitcoin economy is very small so naturally you shouldn’t expect to find much work. Right now I accept works at very low price since I am actually an unemployed college student.

14Ghffp7ubgdYkPWEoRSEfjcPm4V5Fc5Cp

4. Andreas says:

I’d like to earn my first full BitCoin (-:

1ABcLvAQP2g6KTGHMLaygcGoheKz8nBq47

5. Björn says:

Three to go :-)

6. 1AwzdtuiLhXTdbHZWd4jPjK8phHdVsXMTm says:

1AwzdtuiLhXTdbHZWd4jPjK8phHdVsXMTm

7. Ryan Steele says:

I’ll take some free BitCoin! I found your post by doing a Twitter search on BitCoin, in case you were curious.

16QfmWirigbLKkVQMTkMfEgBuGtnWhqCNY

8. Flycs says:

I got intrigued by your fascination! :-)

1Mzoopbkhxa4bo5oKMojjgJFY26EpPrYBk

9. Pyr0 says:

Free Bitcoins? Sign me up:
    12ujRKsCBqnA2gqpPr27MYLbGvfbzUivJw

10. Björn says:

My apologies for late payments. I only just discovered that three comments had been swallowed by the Akismet spam filter. Payments will follow asap – of course everybody get’s paid, even though now it is 6 comments.

11. Onemai says:

Am I so late to get a bit BTC ? :) (maybe not: 1DzJsU7pyBFoJiCBtSsEv2hZ5SHSM8BJqu)

Anyway thanks you for your post which is very interesting to get impression for the ones (like me) who try to understand all the hard concept around bitcoins.

12. Björn says:

There were already five before you, but I’ll make an exception and send you some coins, since I mined some BTC recently.

13. toxicFork says:

Did you mine the bitcoin by leaving your PC up? Are there sites up which will accept bitcoin as payment for doing programming work? I’m a student programmer who’d love to give this a try.

14. Björn says:

I have a dedicated mining PC, with a dual core graphics card. No BTC programming work yet, but I think you could announce your services in the bitcoin forum and wiki. Maybe IRC would work, too.

15. Kamil says:

Websites for Bitcoins. We can do for You website in PHP, also with CMS like Joomla. Webmaster works are possible (XHTML, CSS, jQuery). Great standard.

We do also other programming work in PHP, Java.

Our BTC address:
    1CCtU5aAKNszaAzHSsMsxFKbwZc79HUPRM

16. I am an applied mathematician, and am aware of a simple determininistic method of discovering the factors of a dual prime composite number in polynomial time. All the RSA Challenge Numbers can easilly be factored with an arbitrary precision calculator, like the 10,000 digit Windows look-alike Bcalc. No programming skills needed, this is elementary algebra. Ant brigth high school kid could do it. Professor Burton Kalisky of RSA withdrew the $625,000 prize money after we published this simple deterministic method. shortly after the San Jose RSA Conference (Vedic Maths Theme) after which EMC2 bought RSA.

We know that Adam Back devised Hashcash, (see Wikipedia) and Hashcash was based on a RSA-Hash function. It morphed into Bitcoin. I have not personally read the Bitcoin mining code. but I guess that the RSA problem is at the heart of it.

A dual-prime composite number is traditionally factored by eliptic curve methodology. Think of a dual-prime as a unique rectangle, with sides equal to the composite primes. It is effectively the ‘area’ of that rectangle. Many sample rectangles have similar, but not identical areas, the complete nest of all similar rectangles from pseudo-square to a double-square rectangle (equal bit length sides, eg primes between 32 to 63, or 4096 to 8191 etc.) will form an eliptic curve. 2257 is rectangular, and 2397 is pseudo-square.2279 is even closer, 43 x 53, and 2279 – 2257 gives us a Hash value of #0022, two zeros. whereas 2397=2257 is #0140 only one zero.

When we know the prime factors by a ultrafast deterministic method, we can fake proof of work credentials. we simply submit a hash certificate with enough zeros to qualify. Suspicions would be arroused if they were too many zeros.

Hmmm? I hope I have expressed my concern. and BTW I start my dissertation, with this problem, 10,057, is a dual-prime, 10201 is 101^2, and 10201 -10057 = 144, and 144 = 12 x 12. now figure out the factors! Also P x 5 = 445 & Q x 4 = 452, Also, P x 19 = 1691 & Q x 15 = 1695, And P x 33 = 2937, & Q x 26 = 2938 (A perfect pseudo-square) We can determine how good a sub-ratio is. and also determine how to improve a sub-ratio!!! As long as we compare like with like!!! It is really simple! we just compare it to the perfect ratio, which obviously is the composite itself, but that yields no information! However we can scale up our sub-ratio! and extract a Figure of Merit ‘Z’. Hmmm!

• admin says:

@Alastair Carnegie The proof of work in BitCoin mining is done computing SHA256 values, not factoring primes. Public key cryptography is used in other aspects of BitCoin, like signing of transactions. I don’t know what public key algorithm they use.